We get asked many questions. Below are a few comments you may find useful.
Should your query not be answered below please do not hesitate to contact us – we will be happy to help.
WHO WILL WE CARRY AS A PASSENGER?
- We are happy to carry anyone who is 4 or older at any time we consider it safe to operate. On rough and / or cold days we sometimes raise the age limit on the grounds of safety. Experience has shown this to be a sensible consideration.
- Our age limit for Whirlpool Specials is 8 years old.
- Under 4’s are carried at the skipper’s discretion depending on weather and sea conditions. On a flat, calm, sunny day the youngsters enjoy the whole wildlife experience.
- People with disabilities must have independent sitting balance. We are happy to assist with boarding. Our team includes an occupational therapist. They are more than happy to offer advice.
- We are happy to carry persons in wheelchairs but again the weather must be calm and we will require advanced notice. This will allow us to ensure the boat available has the relevant seats removed and we are ready to strap the wheelchair in position once boarded. This takes us time which we will make available at no extra cost.
- People who suffer from chronic back complaints or who are pregnant are advised that these trips are unsuitable.
- We request you inform us of any potential problems at the time of booking.
- Please click here to view our Accessibility Guide.
DO YOU OFFER FAMILY PRICES?
Yes, we offer small discounts for families – these discounts are available whether you book online or by telephone. We class a child as someone aged 15 and under.
DO YOU DRIVE YOUR BOATS VERY FAST?
The RIBs we use are similar to those used by the Rescue Services and are extremely seaworthy. Our high speed boats have the capability to transport you swiftly and safely to the next stop on your tour with minimum travel time. We are wildlife tour operators. We respect the environment in which we work. We do not operate our boat as a thrill ride. Our cruise speed is considerably less than the maximum speed of the vessel. Our skippers are all well experienced.
WHAT EQUIPMENT DO YOU SUPPLY?
We supply all our passengers with lifejackets. On our open RIBs we can supply full waterproofs and binoculars (please see our Covid 19 procedures page for more information).
WHAT SHOULD I WEAR?
It is always a lot colder out on the water than it is on land. We can supply full waterproofs if you are heading out on our open RIBs (please see our Covid 19 procedures page for more information). However, we always say that you should wear one more layer than you think you will need, including hats and gloves if you are susceptible to the cold. You can always take a layer off if you are too warm. Please be aware that our lifejackets have crotch straps which are passed between your legs so you may wish to consider trousers or shorts rather than a skirt or a dress.
ARE THERE TOILETS ON BOARD?
For our 3 hour tour we use our traditional boat, Celtic Adventurer, which has a toilet on board. There are no toilets on board our RIBs. There are public toilets available at the top of the jetty in Ellenabeich from where we depart.
DO I HAVE TO GET A FERRY TO EASDALE ISLAND TO GET TO YOUR DEPARTURE POINT?
No ! We depart from the jetty off the harbour square in the village of Ellenabeich. The village can be reached by car, motorhome or bus and has a free public car park. Easdale Island and Ellenabeich are collectively known as Easdale, hence we state that we depart from Easdale.
IS THERE PARKING AVAILABLE?
Yes, there is a free public car park clearly signposted from the harbour square. We ask our customers not to park at the top of the jetty as this area is used by residents of Easdale Island.